Saturday, February 20, 2010

Stripping the Hull

Here is 4 strips on each side with the hull beginning to take shape. Each strip gets easier to put on and I'm finding my rhythm and really enjoying myself. 33 years ago my Christian Education professor at Calvin Seminary always talked about the "Content of Process". In other words in Christian education there is more content in the process than in whatever you are teaching. I find this to also be a great example of "the content of process" as I find rest and sabbeth in the process of building.
I've found it helpful to use masking tape between the stations to pull the strips tight together. I'm also learning about how much glue to use and getting that down after overdoing it a bit and having alot pushing out. Here you can also see the 2 strips of darker cedar. This will be met by darked on the edges of the deck also and hopefully begin to create a pleasing pattern.



The bow and stern stems are shaped and angled so the pieces lay "fair". It goes from about 1/2 inch to 1/8 at the edge. The screws that hold it to the stations are to keep it steady while planning/rasping and sanding and are removed as you go. As advised I keep shaping it as I move up.




This is the only place I know where stripping is putting something on. Its great to be finally past setting the stations and getting everything in alignnment and now putting the cedar strips on the hull.

No comments:

Post a Comment