Monday, February 15, 2010

Shaping the stems & setting the sheer strips

Is it FAIR? Not good, not excellent but fair. That the big question to be asking as you set the first two strips. I really don't know the definition of "fair" in kayak building but I think I understand what it means. Are the lines, curves, etc all how they should be when you eye it up. Two of mine were out and a I adjusted the stations and risers that brought it in line. I'll check it once again before I move ahead but best I can tell it "FAIR".
The sheer strips are the first strips set for the hull. The first sheer strip is shaved off to 90 degrees on the cove side which will later be angled to meet with the deck. I was surprised at how easy the first strip went on ....that was until I realize after most of my staples were in that it had not been centered and I didn't have enough strip on one end. Live and learn. I do hate putting those staple holes into the beautiful cedar and may consider using the clamp system as I move ahead. My first strips ar of darker cedar to provide a contrast color that with merge into the walnut stems. Hope it looks good.

Beautiful picture of the laminenations of six pieces of cedar for the inner stems. Look now because once done this will never be seen.



Thanks to Joe at Redfisk Kayaks for his quick email advice response about shaping the stems and the pictures he sent. Using a small block plane on cedar is a wonderful smelling experience. The wood just smells good. I was able to easily shape the stems and kept them in place with screws that I removed as I worked along them and then replaced. The block plane, rasp and sandpaper worked well to shape them. I will adjust the angles as I attach each cedar strip.




No comments:

Post a Comment