Saturday, February 11, 2012

Glassing the Hull

Well, after much sanding and more sanding and more sanding and then a whole lot of sweeping and vacuming and more vacuming I finally was ready to glass the hull. This is really a "no turning back" experience so I wanted to be sure everything was ready. Thursda evening I did a final cleaning of the hull and Friday morning my friend Lou and I draped the cloth over the hull. Friday evening at 5 p.m. we began with Lou mixing epoxy while I brushed it into the cloth.
I'm using MAS again because I found it very easy to work with and was pleased with the outcome. Here is Lous mixing while I installed it. The first coat takes alot. It took us from 5 - 8 to install the first coat and another hour for me to finish finishing it.Its best to do all the coats within a 10 hour timeframe so tha the chemical bond of the epoxy gets really strong between coats I began the second coat at 11 p.m. and finished at 1 am. I did the final 3rd coat at 10 am. Saturday morning. I'm very please with the patterns and the finish.
Next step is to flip it over and do it all again on the inside. Fun!

1 comment: