Monday, February 13, 2012

Flipping the Hull

Today I did the nasty job of sanding the epoxy on the hull. Since it had 2 days to set and was very hard I figured I could try to "not put off till tomorrow what I could do today". Canoe Craft also recommended that the hull might be more stable if it was still on the stations. After about 3 hours with 80 grit and then 120 grit on the random orbital sander my hands are still vibrating. But, its all done and ready for the varnish later. Looks really good when I rub water on it, which gives a taste of the final finish.
My friend and fellow Cadet Counselor Terry came over to help me flip it off the stations. I left the bow and stern stations in place and took them out later. Came off really well. Terry, who is also been helping in the River of God School of Paddling wanted to know when we can paddle it. Sorry, this ones to raise money for Paterson Habitat for Humanity to continue to build homes here in the city in partnership with families. Now it looking like a canoe. On with the fun of sanding and glassing and sanding again the inside. But I'm starting to plan installing the gunnels. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment