Saturday, December 17, 2011

Planking

I've been making good progress planking the hull and pleased how it is coming out. I've been using a variety of techniques to install the strips without staples. Here you can see that I'm planing up the hull toward the bottom and the top at the same time. I shave the stem as I go to match the angle to each strip as it is installed.

Here is a jig that was recommended by Ted Moores in Canoecraft & Kayakcraft. Its basically a 31/2 x 51/2 piece of plywood with a 3/4 inch notch cut out. It can handle 3 strips at a time but I'm only using one. I'm using it to put pressure on the temporary short cedar strip that I have stapled in above the strip being installed. It also provides pressure, along with a shim, on keeping the strip close to the station. It works very well.

Here's an overview picture of the canoe as it takes shape. I'm finding my way with the shades of cedar to create a pattern. Hopefully it looks good. It takes me about 2 hours to prepare and install 4 strips on the top and bottom. I find it very relaxing and rewarding.

Here is a little video to give you a look around the canoe.


No comments:

Post a Comment