Saturday, September 18, 2010

Glassing the Deck

Heres the deck after the 3rd coat of exoxy. I felt much more comfortable doing it the second time around. The first coat adheres the cloth to the wood. Second coat fills the weave and third coat just tops it off. This coat will eventually be sanded smooth in preparation for 4 final coats of spar varnich.
Here is my friend Lou mixing the epoxy. For the first coat I found its very helpful to have Lou mix while I apply. After about 1/2 hour I could begin squeeging the excess off.

I'm very pleased how the cockpit recess came out. This will eventually be cut out to make way for the cockpit which is black walnut. the color contrasts are beautiful I think.
Here I am installing the first coat of epoxy. It always amazes me how the cloth totally disappears and become like glass once the epoxy is applied. Note the gloves, long sleves and safety glasses. We felt no need for resperators since we had the basement windows open and there seemed to be no fumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment