Saturday, July 10, 2010

New York Mayor's Cup Tune Up

Halfway point and turnaround under the Bear Mountain Bridge.
Today my friend Dave and I stretched our experience and kayaking skills by paddling in the Tune Up race of the New York Mayor's Cup Kayak Championship that will be held in August.

This was a 14 mile race on the upper Hudson from Cold Spring south to the Bear Mountain Bridge and back. As you can see from some of the other surfski and racing kayaks we were way out of our class but did our best and finished. I finished in 3 hours and 45 minutes but considering the rain and wind we were battling I was happy. This was one step of our preparation for for the 100 mile North Carolina Watertribe challenge we plan to do in September. As we thought about multiplying the 14 miles x 3 to do 45 in a day we both groaned. We've thought we were getting in shape but have a ways to go.

As you can see, my 14 ft. Pungo was no match for the fast surfski's. It was actually the only "recreational" kayak in the race. Next year I hope to do it in the Spring Run.

1 comment: