Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ready for the Deck

Here the stations and the hull are sealed with masking tape ready to install the sheer strip and begin stripping the hull. You can see the stations that are flat on top are the place where the cockpit will be. Working on my deck design. I have shades of cedar to work with. Medium that the color of most of the hull. Dark that are the top two strips of the hull. And Alaskian White Cedar that I will use on the top deck.
Here the stations are reset with a few dabs of hot glue to keep them in place
Today I flipped the hull over to get ready to build the deck. Although all the stations were supposed to stay in as a result of extra wood glue holding them...they all decided to fall out.
This created an interesting surprise when we lifted the hull off the supports to remove the strongback. The whole thing sagged in the middle. My father thought it broke. I told him I was glad he was there so if it did I had someone else to blame. However,it was a good example of the flexability of the cedar & fiberglass. I'll want that kind of bend when I hit a rock in the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment