Saturday, September 15, 2012

Lighthouse to Lighthouse Race

Today I paddled in my last kayak race of the season in the 14 mile  L2L  This race is in Norwalk Ct. and begins off of Sandy Beach, just next to Calf Beach on the Long Island Sound. I've never actually paddled  on the Long Island Sound but it is very beautiful. After everyone was staged on the beach they had a short captains meeting and by 9 a.m. were starting the first wave of paddleboarders. Sea Kayaks were in the second wave followed by the surf skis, rowing shells and OC1 - 6. The weather was beautiful but the wind was up.


 Here is a shot of the beach from near the starting line. We rounded Sprite Island and headed toward Pecks Ledge Lighthouse. The water was very choppy between tide and waves and we had fun surfing and some flipping (not on purpose).
 There are many small island right off of Norwalk. This is Goose Island I think.
 I loved this lighthouse on top of the house/church or whatever it was. This is on Sheffield Island
 I was making good time averaging about 4.4 mph. Here is Greens Ledge Lighthouse that was our turnaround bouy.
 The return course was the same and the wind died for a bit. Then as we rounded Pecks Ledge we headed right into a 15-20 knot wind right on our nose. I was proud of myself for passing a OC1 and surfski in the final push to the finish in that headwind.  I don't have my exact time but it was under 3 hours. The first place Sea Kayaker did it in about 2:35. We had a great beach party including raw oysters & clams, chili and hamburgers & hotdogs. A good day for all

 The yellow lines are this years race.

No comments:

Post a Comment