Monday, November 21, 2011

Making the Station Forms


Today was my Sabbath Day of rest and I spent it cutting out the Station forms for the Huron Cruiser. I began with two sheets of 5/8" plywood cut in 1/2 ( you can do it for free at Home Depot). The factory ends become the bottom that will meet the strongback. I had to order large size carbon paper on-line to trace the from on to the board and on to the back of the plans. A good idea I just picked up off of the Bear Mt. Boats builder forum was to have a mirror image of the plan duplicated at a blueprint printer and attach it at the centerline. This would eliminate one step. The whole process is timeconsuming in a relaxing way but not difficult. You just have to be very exact on the centerlines, tracings and cutting. I drilled the holes for claiming the stems to the stem station with a 2" bit. The plan called for even more holes than this but the book said 3" on center was sufficient so I went with that.


Here are all the station molds cut out and read to be trimmed and sanded to the cutting line. Its better to cut a little bigger than smaller.

I decided to screw the two twin forms together matching up the bottom and center-lines in order to sand them together. This should get me identical twins.


Finally, I clamped by belt sander to my work vice in order to create a place to evenly sand the twin forms that are screwed together. It works very well but will still require some finish sanding with a sanding block I made copying an idea from Nick Offerman's Canoe Club Journal








No comments:

Post a Comment