Saturday, September 24, 2011

Watertribe North Carolina Challenge

This week my son Benjamin and I are heading to the outer banks of North Carolina to paddle in the 100 mile North Carolina Challenge. This expedition race begins at the end of Cedar Island, up the Neuse River, through the Harlowe Canel, around Beaufort and up the Core Sound back to the start. Its our goal to paddle it in 2 days with just one night camping out. I leave for North Carolina Wednesday morning, will pick Ben up that night at the Raleigh Durham Airport and we'll head for the coast on Thursday. There are boat and gear inspections that afternoon and a captains meeting that evening. The race begins at 7 30 a.m. Friday, September 30.


There are two ways that you can track us if you are interested.


1. Go directly to my SPOT Tracking Page. Just click on whats highlighted and it will take you to

it. Here you will only see my progess. If you look before Friday morning all you will see is

when I tested the SPOT in the church parking lot.


2. You can go to the Watertribe home page. Click on the box that says TRACKING MAP. Here

you can see every boat or just me My Watertribe paddling name is "Passaic Paddler" so you

can search for just me or move your mouse across the boats on the map to find me. Ben's

paddling name is Macatawa If you do a specific search you have to regenerate the page.


Here's the boats we're paddling. Ben is in a folding kayak that he built himself. A skin on fram Yostwerks SeaTourEXP 17ft. You can see the construction on Ben's Boats Blog if interested. I am paddling the cedar strip Redfish Spring Run, 17ft 9 in. that I built over the last year. We are both rigged with flat earth kayak sail that Ben made. The first picture is what the sail looks like.


No comments:

Post a Comment