Sunday, June 12, 2011

Berry Creek Paddle

Tonight I paddled with my friend Richard Narramore from Laurel Hill Park up the Hackensack River to Berry Creek. We didn't know how far up it we could go but ended up traveling about 4 miles up until it ended in an old landfill. This is urban paddling at it best. Under NJ transit commuter railroad brides, through salt march, under the NJ turnpike and Rt. 3, behind Giant Stadium and the Meadowlands Racetrack, around old landfills and industrial areas.


Here is Richard with Rt. 3 in the background. We both always wanted to paddle up this waterway that we have always seen. It was amazingly beautiful and in the midst of the NY metro area a wilderness oasis.



I'm feeling more comfortable in the "Spring Run" and enjoying paddling it. It tracks very well in tide and wind and I continue to work on my forward stroke. Here we are paddling back after we got to the end.

Out track is below with thanks for technical help from my son Ben. Our overall distanct was 13.1 miles and average moving speed 3.7 mph. We had an incoming tide going upriver and were paddling against the tide and wind going back.


No comments:

Post a Comment