Monday, April 11, 2011

Finishing Touches

This afternoon I spent trying to finish the deck rigging and other details on the "Spring Run" anxious to get paddling since we had a spring day in the 80's. It all took a lot longer than I thought it would and I'm still not done. Below is the stern handle with the bow the same. This is a "Double Fishermans' Knot" actually triple on one side. Its just long enough that it can swing over the bow or stern for tying down to the car but be up and out of the water when paddling. I used a 5/16" marine rope but would go to 1/4" next time.I completed the hatch cover seal and bungies. The seal is a closed cell foam weatherstripping 3/8" high by 1/2" wide. The bungies hold the hatch tight but I'm not sure its still watertight. I made an error by epoxying the hatch hold downs on to the hatch before I had attached the deck to the hull. There was some slight variation between when the hatches were cut out and what the hole was after the two were attached. We'll see how this all works out. I may still need some exterior straps.
This is my rear bungie behind the cockpit. I attempted to do a "knotless bungie" connection recommended by Redfish Kayaks. It seemed to work but after I readjusted it under the corner soft padeye it pulled apart. You can see it if you look close. We'll see what the final solution is here as well.
Here are the 4 front soft padeyes. They cutouts (below) went well. I used a Dremmel with a 3/32" bit and it was perfect. I sealed them with Exoxy, used the padeyes supplied and made some more using Redfish instructions. They are sealed from the inside with some 3M Marine sealant 5200 I had left from installing the bulkheads. Its messy to work with ( I must have used a dozen pair of gloves) but they will never pull out.
Here is the slot cut for the soft padeye.

No comments:

Post a Comment