Monday, February 14, 2011

Preparing to Varnish

Here is the sanded kayak just about ready for varnish. I'm still installing the footpegs inside and making a small paddle park that I need to epoxy on one side. Now I have to finish cleaning the basement to get it as dust free as possible. Excited about getting it in the water next month.
Getting ready to varnish is not much fun. The entire kayak must be sanded with 80, 100 and then 120 grit paper to remove all the shine from the epoxy. I also wet sanded with 220 along the sheer seam to make sure its smooth and will not be seen. Its just a dusty, time consuming job but will yeild a great reward.... I hope. I used the orbital sander as well as hand sanding. Here you can see how dusty things are. This is then wiped down with a wet sponge over and over until its clean. I also sanded inside the cockpit where I will varnish as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment